9th Street up Coast Guard Hill
Port Orford, OR 97465
From 1934 into the 1960s U.S. Coast Guard surf men lived here, ever alert for ships in distress. When a call came they risked their lives to save others. See the 36-foot self-righting motor lifeboat number 36498 on the grounds. Visit the museum in the former barracks/office building. Four other historic buildings also remain at this 101.29-acre site. This is the only Forge River-type station left on the West Coast.